Neutral vs Earth
* Neutral is return path for an AC circuit. In electrical system where the load is supplied from only ‘Live’ wire, The ‘Neutral’ completes the circuit and current back from the load to power station.
* Neutral is a conductor that carries current in normal operation.
* Neutral represents a reference point within an electrical distribution system.
* Earth or Ground wire is a safety protective wire for human and electrical equipments from fault conditions.
* Earth is a conductor that carries no current in normal operation.
* If there were a short of the Hot or some intermediate point to the metal chassis on a equipment, with the chassis grounded, the fault current flows to Ground.
Earthing vs Grounding
In simple words, Earthing and Grounding are synonyms. There is no different between Earthing and Grounding but these are the same thing. While phase and neutral is connected to main power wiring, earth may be connected to body of equipment for safety concerns against leakage or residual currents or surge on the system via low resistance path.
Location of neutral and earth wire: